Wednesday, April 26, 2006

My Death Space

I have capitulated and joined MySpace. I always use it to check out bands but decided to finally bite the bullet and register. However I hope that I don't end up at MyDeathSpace in the very near future.

There is something deeply creepy about the idea of MySpace becoming a communal condolence book. In response to this, I pledge to leave all my internet passwords to my family so that they can trawl the web deleting my profile from various sites and vanquish me from the collective memory of the web if the worst happens. Read Momus' advice on comitting MySpaceside.

Or is that the point? We now leave a digital trace where once we would leave stacks of old photos or items of sentimental value. Now we leave lists of our likes, favourite music and homevideos for anyone to browse. One of the key factors in the success of MySpace is the ability to customise your homepage however you wish without needing to know html (although most kids do these days). Everyone can pretend to be an 'individual' in the communal gene pool of the internet, project the personality they would like others to see without the complications of real-world interaction in social situations. It's like personal marketing for the online generation. The idea that someone really has over a hundred friends is stretching things somewhat.

Any friends out there?...

Update: Just logged into former darling-of-the-internet social site Friendster again and noticed that they have overhauled the site (added video, customisable html settings, etc) in a bid to stave off the exodus to MySpace.

2 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm interesting idea. But you'll be lucky if you think I'll be trawling through the web and fannying around with passwords after you're gone. I'm afraid if that is your fallback I suspect you may live on in the cyberworld.

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Doug said...

noooooooooooo!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home